Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I Began Now

Reflection reveals the essence of who we are: layers and layers of mythological levels. These levels are formed by our past experiences. But as add more experiences to our lives, we metamorphosize into someone different. 

"The past is our definition. We may strive with good reason to escape it, or to escape what is bad in it. But we will escape it only by adding something better to it." - Wendell Berry

Adding "better" (or worse) things to our lives make us new.

So where did it all begin?

By this logic, it all begins right now. As I am having the experience of writing this blog, I am metamorphosizing into a new Ben. I'm building muscle mass in my forearms, learning how to write and articulate better, and getting hungrier--and I'll never be the same. I'm beginning right now, with a fresh start and limitless possibilities. I got to this chair because of my past, but I want to embrace the responsibilites of tomorrow, not the regrets of yesterday. The beginning becomes irrelevent; we escape it by looking to the future. Perhaps Christian author Rick Warren says it best:

"We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it." 

No comments:

Post a Comment